Thursday, July 22, 2010

Who's In Your Path?




One of the last things someone asked me before I left for Ethiopia was, “Aren’t you tired of going back there yet?” My answer was a quickly affirmed “NO.” In the days since travelling, arriving and laboring here in Ethiopia that answer has been re-affirmed again and again. Each day has brought about life reborn as people hear of the gospel (some for the first time) or finally accept the longing in their own hearts.

In my own heart, I feel much like the disciples of Christ. I see miracles occur daily. I hear of hearts changed, and of life reborn. I can see the light of understanding dawn across people’s eyes as the gospel finally breaks through generational tradition and people begin to understand the words given to them.
But I also am like the disciples as I am so focused on the agenda rather than the mission. Like how the disciples, I think first of what I see, not as God does.

One day, after sharing, we had many join the faith. In our minds, we strive to travel through mud and water (on foot) to be able to share with a witch doctor and her husband. While on the path, we pass by several, simply saying “Salam” (which means peace be with you) which is the common greeting amongst people. We don’t stop, we don’t share, we simply move along – keeping the agenda in mind. Because of the condition of the trails, we don’t make it to the witch doctor’s, but instead to another village nearby. On our return to the vans, we discover something. One of the men that we had passed along (passed up), had died when a truck struck him when he crossed under the top of the hill. Just like a snap of a finger, a life was lost.

In the same instance, a thought comes to my mind and wrecks my heart: “Could HE have used a moment to understand of the importance of Christ?” and even more wrenching, “Did he not know Christ, because you failed to share Him?” As my mind ponders of how fleeting my agenda was, a verse comes alive to me.

2 Corinithians 7:10-11
“For Godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death. For see what earnestness this Godly grief has produced in you, but also what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what punishment!”

Through this verse, I find a measure of peace. I cannot know what will happen from my actions (or lack thereof), but I can rest that in my grief of what this man may have missed for eternity, God uses this to lead me. EVERY person along the path is important. EVERY person that we pass deserves the time to not just be acknowledged, but also to be known. This extends to more than just the Ethiopia mission, but also throughout our lives. He desires for each person along the path to fully know Him just as much as He already knows them. He desires that His love to us be extended to them. That through our actions to love others that He be known. Just like He tells us in His word:

John 13:34-35
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Story by Scott Eckstein


Our North American team is feeling better after 5 people had some stomach issues yesterday. It is hard to believe but tomorrow (Friday) will be out last day of ministry. We will work ½ on Friday & then head back to Addis on Friday afternoon. Saturday morning we will visit an orphanage, spend some time shopping & doing a trip debrief & processing. Saturday night team 1 flies home & team 2 arrives.

No comments: